Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tunisia Menu Item 1: Harissa

Kate, 
Yesterday I had leftovers for lunch: short ribs, lemon couscous, roasted carrots, and flat bread. I wish I had taken a picture when the table was set and the serving dishes were piled high..but I didn't. Instead, while sitting at work enjoying this meal for the second time in two days I thought to snap this photo. 

LUNCH!

All the food was North African in origin, mostly from Tunisia. I can't describe the flavors: a sweet, savory, spicy, fruity combination that made the house smell amazing!

Since I enjoyed this meal so much I thought I would share the recipes for the entire menu with you over my next few posts. 

The first thing is the Harissa. It's THE condiment of Tunisia. You might be able to buy this but we (actually your father with help from your eldest while she was visiting last month) made this recipe by Deborah Madison.  This recipe is pretty mild but, as I understand it, this stuff can be pretty hot.  I read that Tunisian husbands believe their wives no longer love them when the food (flavored by Harissa) begins tasting bland.  Hum.  Don't think I'll comment on that! 

Use Harissa on scrambled eggs (oh my!) or some feta cheese, or mix it into roasted veggies (more on that in another post).  Your going to love it! Directions for making it in a food processor or by hand follow (I vote for the food processor!)

Our homemade Harissa on the embarrassingly crowded top shelf of our refrigerator
 Harissa
12 dried red new Mexican chiles
3 guajillo chiles 
4 plump garlic cloves coarsely chopped
salt
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbl olive oil plus extra for storing
cayenne - optional

Wipe off the chiles with a damp cloth, break off the stems, shake out as many seeds as possible and pull out any large veins. WEAR GLOVES! Discard any gray or yellowed areas of the skin because they might taste moldy. Tear the chiles into pieces, put in bowl and cover with boiling water and let stand for at least 30 minutes. Remove from bowl (save the water) and snip into smaller pieces with scissors. 

In a food processor grind the chilies with the garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, caraway, coriander, cumin, and oil until a smooth paste forms. Add a little of the chile soaking water to loosen the mixture.  If you want more heat add cayenne to taste. 


You can also do this by hand with a mortar and pestle but it will take some work!  Make a paste by pounding the garlic and salt together, add the non chile ingredients and mix until you have a paste. Then add the chile that you snipped into small pieces with scissors and pound until the paste is as smooth as you can get it. 

Pack into a clean jar and cover the surface with more oil and refrigerate.  


5 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of north African cuisine!
    It's not Tunisian it's Moroccan. Check your sources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gerry.

    Nice to see you build out from the thoughts I shared on Google+ yesterday.You make some very god points regarding the value of Home Design Ideas.

    Tile installer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative and useful historical post. I see you have a lot of other cool stuff available at your website, simply bookmarking it to check in spare time. Thanks and keep the good work up.

    Gilbert tile installation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative post. Your post really gonna help the people like me who are looking for such terms and info.... I am glad i visited here and learned.


    bathroom remodels fountain hills

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good info, thank you towards the writer. It's in comprehensive in my experience right now, however in common, the actual effectiveness as well as importance is actually mind-boggling. Many thanks once again as well as best of luck!

    Ceramic tile mesa

    ReplyDelete